1) Position at MM: Admin
2) 3 things you would take with you on a desert Island Wellies, sun cream and my kindle Prepared for all eventualities!!
3)If you weren’t doing MM what would you be doing instead? Getting into trouble elsewhere most likely! Busy at my day job as a teacher… I’m also involved in small animal rescue.
4)What is the toughest part of your job? Seeing all the mass-produced dogs by breeders who don’t care and then sell to people who don’t really know what they are taking on, leading to the crisis in rescue. I want to cry every time I see someone wanting to give up their dog.
5) Where do see MM in the next 2 years ? Bigger and better but most likely and sadly busier The number of dogs in need looks set to continue rising, however on the positive we have new members joining us every day. I’m looking forward to seeing the charity grow and evolve.
6) Do you have dogs yourself ? Breed ? Names ? How many?
Yes four – Rocky a 14-year-old Border Collie, now retired but in his time was a fabulous obedience, agility and flyball dog and an excellent lead in harness and patient trainer of sled dogs! Noobie – Malamute aged ten, my best friend and the dog behind my passion for sled dogs. An amazing multi titled working dog, gentle, calm and sociable. A Labrador in malamute skin. Dexter – six-year-old second-hand Labrador, yellow lunatic but always happy. Pixie my four-year old Norwich Terrier, thinks she is a malamute!
We also share our home with 5 cats, 5 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a hamster and a collection of fancy rats.
7) When away from MM what do u do in you spare time (if any ? )I breed and show Fancy rats – my most successful winners have been ironically ‘husky rats’. I also breed and show my Maine Coon cats. I show some of my dogs and work them in obedience, agility and KC rally. We also enjoy sled dog activities – racing, trekking, scootering, back packing and weight pull, plus the inevitable socializing! Away from animals …… I eat (too much) and sleep (never enough!!)
8)What is the best part of your role at MM ? Knowing that sometimes people do listen and we can make a difference. There is nothing like the relief of alerting the group to a dog in a shelter and the rescue team managing to secure a place in rescue and save a life! I am passionate about training so I also love the opportunity to talk about dog training and behaviour with like-minded individuals!
9) Fave band, actor and tv show ? I don’t have a favourite band, I can never remember actors names and I usually fall asleep in the opening credits to TV shows
10) Any human kids/grand kids ? Names ? I have a little boy called Ben. He’s 19 months old and animal mad. His first words were wooooooo and meow!